Cutelyst the Qt web framework got a new release. This is a rather small release but has some important fixes so I decided to roll sooner.
The dispatcher logic got 30% faster, parsing URL encoded data is also a bit faster on some cases (using less memory), Context objects can now be instantiated by library users to allow for example getting notifications from SQL databases and be able to forward to Cutelyst actions or Views, pkg-config support has also improved a bit but still misses most modules.
Have fun https://github.com/cutelyst/cutelyst/archive/v1.9.0.tar.gz
As you may remember we announced in February that we are working on a new 3D design tool called Qt 3D Studio, which is based on a major contribution from NVDIA. Now we are happy to announce that the code has been pushed into the Qt Project repositories and binary snapshots are available through the Qt online installer.
What is Qt 3D Studio?
- Qt 3D Studio is a world class 3D User Interface design tool formerly known as NVIDIA Drive Design
- Cross-platform Qt application supporting Windows, Mac and Linux as development hosts
- Supports importing design assets from popular authoring tools such as Photoshop, Autodesk Maya and The Foundry MODO
- Contains an extensive in-built material and effects library
- Enables rapid prototyping with keyframe animations using the powerful timeline editor
- Seamlessly integrates with Qt Quick and other modules of the Qt framework
Real-time 3D User interfaces can be easily created with Qt 3D Studio
What has been done in the past 7 months?
Quite some time has passed since the contribution from NVIDIA was received and some may wonder what have we been up to. As the original application was implemented mostly with Windows only MFC we wanted to port it to Qt first before opening the repositories. We have also been cleaning out many of the originally used 3rd party libraries as Qt provides the needed functionality already.
Here are a few items we been working with:
- User interface has been ported from MFC to Qt so Studio supports also Mac and Linux
- Look and feel of the application has been slightly updated
- Qt / QML API has been extended and a new C++ API created
- Some of the 3rd party components replaced with Qt based implementation to minimize the dependencies and reduce the size of the codebase
- Changed to Qt build systems and implemented CI integration
- Analyzing the architecture and benchmarking the in-built rendering to Qt 3D.
Integrating Qt 3D Studio UI’s to Qt applications
One of the areas we have been extending the functionality of the Qt 3D Studio is the integration to Qt and especially to Qt Quick. Now Qt 3D Studio offers easy 2-way integration to Qt Quick:
- Qt 3D Studio scenes can be easily integrated inside Qt Quick based applications
- Qt Quick views can be rendered into 3D elements as textures
Working with Qt Creator Designer allows seamless editing of Qt Quick items of the UI
In this example the 3D scene contains gauges that have changing content. Gauges have been implemented with 3D Studio which enables